Saint Patrick

Today is Paddy’s Day, that is St. Patrick’s nickname in Irish.
Last February 15, my brother brought me to St. Patrick’s Cathedral in Dublin where we participated in the solemn Evensong. It was my first time to attend Vespers in a Protestant Church. And even the thought of a reformation Church bearing the name of a “Catholic Saint” intrigued me. But that’s exactly where “I need to get converted,” says my brother. “Catholic” means universal; St. Patrick was not “canonized” by the Roman Catholic Church, my brother continues. He was “made” a saint by the people, both the Irish (catholics?) and non-Irish alike (protestants…?).
Pope Benedict XVI is working hard on ecumenism. Wonder if he could consider St. Patrick as one of the main “ecumenical, missionary saints” of Europe.
May God's blessings be showered upon all the Patrick's of today! Click here for more on
St. Patrick, his life and confession.