God delights in you!

Today is Fr. Charlie Wolf’s “first celebration” of his Jubilee of Priesthood in heaven! I’d like to believe he’s having a grand time, banqueting with the Most Holy Trinity and all the saints. And more, allowing God to “delight in him” in eternity.
I want to honor him today by sharing a homily which he delivered to a group of retreatants years ago. Here he reveals “his God.” This homily could also give you an idea why Charlie’s directees (like me) felt “at home” with him – because of his deep relationship with the God you’ll come to meet here.

GOD DELIGHTS IN YOU! A homily by Fr. Charles Wolf, sj

I once asked a Jewish friend of mine, “What is your God like?” He was surprised at my question, and said, “Let me think that over.” Three days later we were together, he said, “Remember what you asked me about my God? Let me tell you then; my God is one who delights in me and in my desire to live the Torah.” The Torah is the essence of Jewish law.

How beautiful is his God. His God delights in him; and how genuine is his religion! Now, how about your God? Does he delight in you? Is he delighting in you at this moment? Delight means that God sees value in you; it means that you are worthy; that you are not junk. You have quality and value in you that makes you precious in his eyes. Perhaps you think that you have to be more perfect, to be better than you are at present before God will delight in you. Do you give God a chance to delight in you?

The value that God sees in you is yours now. You do not have to deserve it, you should not earn it. If you think you have to wait, to work harder to get his delight, you’re going to wait and work forever. Many people who take God seriously have a demanding God, a God who keeps piling work on them: things that we must do, duties that we should fulfill; laws that we must keep. Just remember that these demands are mostly coming from you, not from Jesus nor the Father of Jesus. A demanding God: work, work, work. Do, sister, do. Win brother, win. Run, father, run, run, run.

Many of us seem unable to sit quietly and give God a chance to delight. Our principle and foundation seems to be, if I’m not doing, my God is not delighting. Let me change just a little the words of our Jewish friend: “My God is one who delights in me, and in my desire to live the Gospel.” Notice, God delights in my desire, not so much in my success, not in my efforts, but he delights just in my desire.

You might spend some time during the remaining days of the retreat in giving God permission to delight in you. Go to your room and shut the door, says Jesus. And let your Father, the Father of Jesus, look on you, enjoy you, delight in you. Allow God to love you as he wishes: sometimes in light, sometimes in shadow, sometimes in peace, sometimes in turmoil; but all of you, always, unconditionally. You know, God not only loves you, that is his blessing, his vocation, that is his job, you might say. But he even likes you, he likes to be with you. Give him a chance.

Are you surprised that God delights in you? After all, what else might we expect from a God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, who is stricken with a foolish love for us!

I am grateful to my Jewish friend. I am grateful for opening my eyes to the sheer radiant goodness, and kindness and beauty of our Yahweh.