For One More Day

I just finished reading For One More Day by Mitch Albom. If you’d like to prepare conscientiously for the coming celebration of Mother’s Day, then this is the book to read. With a tightly woven plot, this fiction carries you through tales of childhood, growing up, hitting rock bottom and then experiencing grace! And “grace” here is personified by the protagonist’s mother. If you want to know more, click here
One of the best parts of the book is the recurring comparative “account” interspersed in the narrative– Times My Mother Stood Up for Me versus Times I did Not Stand Up for My Mother. I thought, it would be good to make this exercise myself before I call up my Mom.
But also more importantly, I felt it would be better if I reflect even deeper and see how much of “my mother” has already been incarnate in me. My vocation to “motherhood” has taken a different turn than my Mom’s – quality wise, quantity wise. But it is present nonetheless, in my desire to see life grow and blossom. Reflecting on it now, I guess it was just “oozing out of my veins”: in fact, three months after my first profession in 1983, my Superiors sent me back to the novitiate to be assistant to the Novice Directress. After perpetual profession in 1989, coming to Rome for the first time, I was again asked by my Superiors to join the novitiate community even as I was doing my specialization. After two years, I was back in the Philippines, that time as formator of the aspirants and postulants.
These are probably weak comparisons or even sheer justification. On the other hand, these are real experiences which allowed me to help “bring forth” life-in- God. And I’m sure that this has its own value in the overall plan of our loving God for all of us.