The Mystery of the Visitation

The closing of the Marian month of May is highlighted by today’s Feast of the Visitation of our Lady to her cousin Elizabeth. I made my contemplation of this mystery today quite real by literally visiting some of my sisters whom I have not seen for some time. Our “exchange of joy” has really energized me.
Another aspect of today’s feast which kept “re-playing” in my heart is a particular prayer for expectant mothers, remembering the protagonists in today’s Gospel, Mary and Elizabeth, and their respective sons, of course.
And as I was rushing home this afternoon, I was graced with a live-scene of two women by the roadside. Both of them wore lovely smiles, as one showed her full belly to the other, who in turn, touched it lovingly. How beautiful and how rare indeed, especially in this country! Here, by the way, is a website that has taken the inspiration from the Visitation Mystery and adapted it to our modern world.

To close my prayer today, I tried to look for two things from the internet: an inspiring painting on the Visitation and I found this very interesting modern painting with its creative interpretation.
The second thing I looked for was a poem on the Visitation and I was gifted with this Russian Orthodox prayer, an excerpt from the Akathistos.
Having received God into Her womb, the Virgin hastened to Elizabeth whose unborn babe at once recognized Her embrace, rejoiced, and with leaps of joy as songs, cried to the Theotokos:
Rejoice, branch of an Unfading Sprout:
Rejoice, acquisition of Immortal Fruit!
Rejoice, laborer that laborest for the Lover of mankind:
Rejoice, Thou Who givest birth to the Planter of our life!
Rejoice, cornland yielding a rich crop of mercies:
Rejoice, table bearing a wealth of forgiveness!
Rejoice, Thou Who makest to bloom the garden of delight:
Rejoice, Thou Who preparest a haven for souls!
Rejoice, acceptable incense of intercession:
Rejoice, propitiation of all the world!
Rejoice, good will of God to mortals:
Rejoice, boldness of mortals before God!
Rejoice, O Bride Unwedded!
If you want to see the full version of Akathistos, you can click here.