Tobit

Continuing with the reading of the Book of Tobit at Mass (Tb 2:10-23), I was touched with the predicament of Tobit which expresses the perennial question: why do just people suffer? We read how Tobit was faithful to God’s laws even to the point of risking his own life. Why this suffering now – physical blindness caused by very strange circumstances?
And then on account of this sickness, we see the many complications which follow, for instance, the relationship with his wife. At one level, it was understandable how Tobit’s experience of suffering helped him to be closer to God, but on the other hand, we see how his sickness also made him so sensitive, perhaps because of the sense of helplessness. He recounts: “At that time my wife Anna worked for hire at weaving cloth, the kind of work women do. When she sent back the goods to their owners, they would pay her. Late in winter she finished the cloth and sent it back to the owners. They paid her the full salary, and also gave her a young goat for the table. On entering my house the goat began to bleat. I called to my wife and said: "Where did this goat come from? Perhaps it was stolen! Give it back to its owners; we have no right to eat stolen food!" But she said to me, "It was given to me as a bonus over and above my wages." Yet I would not believe her, and told her to give it back to its owners. I became very angry with her over this. So she retorted: "Where are your charitable deeds now? Where are your virtuous acts? See! Your true character is finally showing itself!"
Tomorrow at Mass we will hear the poignant prayers of Tobit; and this, in synchronicity with the prayers of another suffering woman, Sarah. Read on