Motu Proprio

I’m silently monitoring the reactions to the Pope Benedict XVI’s Motu Proprio through some news agency. Here are two revealing interviews reported in the magazine Inside the Vatican – one from the USA and another from Italy.
The first is from an interview with Msgr. Michael Schmitz, vicar general and provincial superior for the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest in the USA. In synthesis, he seems to be very happy with what the Pope has done and that this last move was simply a worthy “finale” to all the past discussions regarding the matter. In the following excerpt, he points out the value of active participation which was already present in the Tridentine liturgy and in the present liturgy, hence reinforcing the Pope’s assertion of continuity between the two “forms” of celebration. Moreover, he sees that the Pope’s Motu Proprio is needed for the continuing dialogue with the Orthodox Church. For the complete interview,
click here:
Q: Do you believe the idea of people participating rightly and well in the liturgy, brought out in Sacrosanctum Concilium, is indeed a worthy goal, even for the Classical Roman liturgy?
A: The participation of the people at the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass was already underscored by several popes before the document you mentioned. As a matter of fact, the encyclical Mediator Dei of Pius XII specifies the theological meaning of this participation. There can be no question that our Blessed Mother participated in a very full sense in the Sacrifice of her Son while standing under the cross.
This true participation in the divine mystery of the Mass, under the prudent direction of the Church, can also find its expressions in adjoining liturgical music or appropriate responses. This exterior participation, though, will only have a spiritual meaning if it is accompanied with an interior participation according to the example of the Blessed Mother.
Q: Do you think that the Orthodox may be watching very keenly what the Pope is doing to restore the Latin liturgical tradition?
A: We all know that our Holy Father is an extremely learned person and we can be sure that nothing of this importance will ever escape his attention. We can only hope that the efforts of the Holy See to reconcile the Orthodox churches -- thus continuing a long tradition of efforts made by various Roman Pontiffs -- is blessed with spiritual success. The emphasis the Orthodox world rightly puts on the liturgy will certainly make their representatives reconsider our theological position if we are able to show them that we have the same respect for our own liturgical sources that they have for their traditions.

Now, here’s the other side of the coin – represented by Monsignor Luca Brandolini, Bishop of Sora-Aquino-Pontecorvo and member of the Liturgical Committee of the Italian Episcopal Conference reported in La Repubblica (Sunday edition), by the veteran Vatican journalist Orazio La Rocca. Again for the complete version of this newsflash,
click here.
"This day is for me a day of grief. I have a lump in my throat and I do not manage to hold back my tears. But, I will obey the Holy Father, because I am a bishop and because I care for him. However, I cannot hide my sadness for the putting aside of one of the most important reforms of the Second Vatican Council." In fact, Monsignor Luca Brandolini, Bishop of Sora-Aquino-Pontecorvo and member of the Liturgical Committee of the Cei (Italian Episcopal Conference), hardly holds back his tears when he is asked for a comment on the reintroduction of the Tridentine Latin Mass: "Please, do not ask me anything, I do not wish to speak [about it], for I am living the saddest day of my life as a priest, as a bishop, and as a man."
Monsignor Brandolini, why [are you] so upset?
"It is a day of grief, not only for me, but for many who lived and worked in the Second Vatican Council. Today, a reform for which so many labored, at the cost of great sacrifices, animated solely by the wish to renew the Church, has been canceled."
You will not accept the motu proprio of Benedict XVI, then?
"I will obey, because I care for the Holy Father. I have for him the same sentiment that a son has for his father. And then, as a bishop, I am bound to obedience. Yet, in my heart, I suffer deeply. I feel as if wounded in my heart, and I cannot help saying it. Nonetheless, if anyone in my diocese will ask me to follow the Tridentine rite, I will not be able to say no. But I do not believe this will happen, because ever since I have been the bishop of Sora-Aquino-Pontecorvo, there has never been anyone who has expressed a similar desire. I am certain that it will always be like this in the future."