Baptism

To prepare ourselves for the liturgy of Sunday, I'd like to share this reflection which I just received from Sr. M. Necitas Derama, our PDDM sister based in Hong Kong.

This coming Sunday, the celebration of the Baptism of the Lord gives me 3 thoughts very much related to what I am going through these months: kindled spiritual awareness, obedience anchored in God, opened vistas of self-knowledge.
Reflecting deeply on the grace of baptism, I become aware of my being unique and special before God. Such spiritual awareness is kindled through events and persons God sent into my life especially during crucial moments. My responses to situations allow me to see my God-given capacity to be creative. This I see in the rich expression of my heart and hopefully in action, a giftedness that really makes me feel how valuable I am before God, to others and in relation to myself. Unique, creative, valuable are self-definitions which come to be unfolded day by day before my eyes.
Anchored in God, I wish to be open to this disclosure of my identity as his handmaid and bride. I know that this life-giving advocacy will be tested through life as Jesus our Teacher himself experienced.
As I move on in this direction of tests and temptation I trust that I will have the consolation of tasting now and then the seeing of the light and the hearing of his voice: "You are my beloved and loved". This will engrave deeper self knowledge in me that will hopefully be my guide to move on in the difficult moments of God's spousal with me.
The death experience of my sister Claudia last December has given me meaning of our day to day journey of spousal with God. I consider that what she went through in her life, with its innumerable pains was areal day to day spousal with her God. Hence, I saw her passing away as departure for her definitive"wedding banquet with God" so affirmed by the bridal gown she wore during her funeral. For me and the rest of the family, that made a lot of sense as we confronted our loss of her; it also made our Christmas more meaningful.
May we continue to prepare and help each other in this day to day preparation for our final wedding banquet with God who has already espoused us in his Son Jesus through the grace of baptism.