What is love?

I am re-reading a book from which I had my first “theology lessons” as an adolescent ages ago. It’s called Mister God, This is Anna by Fynn. Since its first publication in 1974, it has been re-printed several times and it still sells. The edition I have now, thanks to a Friend who sent it to me as a Christmas gift, carries 3 extra pages which are new to me. These pages reveal a bit of the historical context of this true story and the motive that brought about the beautiful friendship between the Author and Anna. Fynn relates: It was beauty that really drew Anna and me together…this pursuit of pure beauty made us companions in our explorations…
It is beautifully written indeed. Try this description of love:
“Fynn, I love you.” When Anna said that, every word was shattered by the fullness of meaning she packed into it. Her I was totality. Whatever this I was for Anna was packed tight with being. .. it was pure and all of one piece. Her use of the word love was not sentimental or mushy; it was impelling and full of courage and encouragement. For Anna, love meant the recognition of perfectibility in another. Anna saw a person in every part. Anna saw a you. Now that is something to experience, to be seen as a you, clearly and definitely, with no parts hidden. Wonderful and frightening. I’d always understood that it was Mister God who saw you so clearly and in your entirety, but then all Anna’s efforts were directed to being like Mister God, so perhaps the trick is catching if only you try hard enough.