Easter Gift - Shift of perspective


I think one of the greatest gifts of the Easter event is the shift of perspective. Consider Mary Magdalene. In her lifetime, before meeting Jesus, who was she looking for?  Herself? Her-SELF? HER-self?  
Same thing for most of us. When we look at a picture - group picture, family picture, whatever – chances are we will immediately scan the group and look for our face! If we are out of the country and we read the newspaper, or navigate the internet, or watch tv news, chances are we will search for something about our country, our town, our barrio, etc, etc, etc. 
For most of us, this is hard core reality: we are always looking FOR ourselves, if not looking AFTER ourselves.
Change of perspective came on the first Easter morn. The angels on the empty tomb asked Mary:  “Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you looking for?” She said to them, “They have taken my Lord, and I don’t know where they laid him.” (cf Jn 20:11-18)
Now, it is her Lord who is the center of her attention: Jesus – her life, her love. Now, she is ready to be sent – to be the Apostle to the apostles!  Jesus said to her, “Stop holding on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. But go to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am going to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’” Mary went and announced to the disciples, “I have seen the Lord,” and then reported what he had told her.

It’s Easter 2013! Are we ready to accept this Easter gift - this shift of perspective?

Providentially, the honored place of Mary Magdalene in the Christian tradition is upheld till now. By the empty tomb of Jesus in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem, you will see at the right side, the Altar of St. Mary Magdalene (the photo above). This shortvideo clip will indicate to you the exact point where the Risen Jesus and Mary had their dialogue on that first Easter morn (note the pavement area where the monks offered incense).