Remembering...

Last year, at around this time, I was on my first visit to the USA, initially to our communities in New York and Boston, and then to those of the West Coast. Some of my sisters and friends couldn’t believe that it was really my first time to be in the US. They took for granted that America was a familiar place to me. Theoretically, it was. For one, English was almost like my mother tongue. But for people of my generation, familiarity with American culture then was intended more for discovering the “strengths and weaknesses of one’s enemy.” I must admit that in my high school days, the slogan we learned to chant was mostly about fighting “American imperialism!”
But thank God I’ve had the blessing to meet really good Americans and hence, to question the slogans I learned and challenge my prejudices. What’smore, my first-hand experience of American catholicism during my visit last year was really an eye-opener. I had a grand time participating in their liturgy. Our languishing liturgy here in Rome (save for the Vatican celebrations, of course) is no match to theirs. And there were (are) so many other reasons and persons who convinced me that America is a good place to be. Somehow, I came to understand why the Americans I know are quite proud of who they are.
And that’s why I also feel so sorry for the tragedy that took place in Virginia Tech yesterday. My heart goes out to the victims, their families and friends. But I also prayed for the guy who did it, for his family and teachers who were not able to prevent him from falling into this “pit!”
I could only hope and pray that this disaster could act as a wake-up call to the authorities concerned! Meanwhile, I'd like to assure my American friends that we are one with you in this time of sorrow.