return to childhood

Since last Monday, we have been reading portions of John 3:1-36 at Mass. This is the famous discourse between Jesus and the Jewish teacher Nicodemus. One of the most remembered lines here is Jesus’ mystifying statement: “Unless one is born from above, one cannot see the Kingdom of God” (Jn 3:3), to which Nicodemus answered, “Can one enter a second time into the mother’s womb and be born again…?”
As I let these words resound in my heart over and over again, a similar gospel passage slowly emerged: "Truly I say to you, unless you change and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven" (Mt 18:3). I carried these lines with me throughout the day and as if to reinforce the message, an email arrived from a friend saying the “same thing” in the concrete context of life. I was inspired to make a simple powerpoint presentation which I’d like to share here.