faith crisis

After John 3, we now have the continuous reading of John 6 from today till next week at Mass. This is one of my favorite episodes in the Gospel of John, not only because of its substance but because of the personal experience I associate with it. Today’s reading narrates the multiplication of the loaves. But further on, we shall be hearing the discourse on the bread of life.
Actually if one reads this chapter closely, one will see here a concrete test of faith – the disciples had to struggle within themselves whether to stay with or depart from Jesus after a very challenging revelation: “my flesh is real food, my blood is real drink. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them” (Jn 6:55-56). In fact, the Gospel had to say openly: “Because of this many of his disciples turned back and no longer went about with him” (Jn 6:66).
Faith in Jesus present in the Eucharistic bread and wine is something I have taken for granted from childhood to adolescence. However, during my student days I used to hang around with some Protestant friends. Some of them, in their zeal to “evangelize me” brought me to film shows about the reformation period showing the abuses of the Catholic church. I also joined their bible studies which were good in themselves but which, I realized later on, had the concrete intention to “rouse me from my slumber” and “convert” me to their denomination. I found it amusing in fact to hear their language: they are the “C’s” (Christians) and we are the “non-C’s” (non-Christians)!
Inevitably, we came to a moment of confrontation regarding the Eucharist. For one thing, it was a revelation for me to know that the mainline Protestants (Methodists, Presbyterans, etc) believe in the Lord's presence in the Eucharist, but only during the celebration of the Lord’s Supper. We Catholics, believe that this presence continues even after the celebration, that’s why we have tabernacles and we have Eucharistic adoration, devotions, etc. This was hard for them to understand and one of them, questioned me outright how could that be. I didn’t know how to answer; certainly it’s a matter of faith in Jesus’ words and the interpretation given to it by my Catholic tradition! Just the same, the question led me to a real crisis. Fortunately, I have always been “provided” with very good witnesses and teachers of the faith. One of them was Fr. Restie Esguerra (God bless him and grant rest to his soul!). We studied John 6 together and came to the conclusion that even if this teaching (on the real presence of the Lord) is so difficult to understand, we have reason to take the words of the Lord as trustworthy. In verses 60-65 of that Chapter, Jesus himself said that it is not an easy teaching and that it could be offensive to some. Be that as it may, the disciples have to make their choice. So do I. And it was then that I made the leap of faith.
I know now that this experience was not an insignificant one. My devotion to Jesus present in bread and wine has actually grown to the point that it has become an integral part of my vocation and mission. Literally, it “makes my day!” Eucharistic faith is for me – Presence pulsing, peace pervading, simple-serene-assuring song: “I-am-with-you!”